Friday, March 6, 2015

What part of our culture can really be saved?

Our third contribution is from one of our members, Gregory Charles Lawrence who has recently established a social endeavour project to help the Pioneer Generation via his site, Old Newspaper .


I lived on the island of Bali from 2007 till 2014, and while I was there, I blended in the local population very easily and seamlessly. I absorbed much of the culture and all the intricacies, such as the language, dialects and also the traditional and official mannerisms. I did really enjoy myself there but one thing was missing...Singapore food.

I remember one trip back to Singapore when a Customs officer, in a friendly manner, asked me about Bali, saying it must be wonderful to live there. I paused for awhile and replied that, while it was more relaxed and slower paced, I really missed Singapore food.

Each trip I make back to Singapore, I make a beeline for Char Siew Rice, Bak Kut Teh, Teh Halia, Roti Prata, Thosai and the likes. While some of these dishes are available in Bali, the taste and experience is a world apart. The flavour, sambal or chili, sauces and soups ARE Singapore and that is not easily replicated anywhere else.

So back to Singapore I come and find that so many traditional hawkers have given up their trade due to high rentals, rising food costs and also a lack of succession. This is a sad an unfortunate thing as our food is an integral part of Singapore society. What can we do to preserve our food culture?

I have taken on the task of reviving this aspect of our lives, in the form of a Social Endeavour which I call Old Newspaper. What will result is a fair and balanced working environment where the Pioneer Generation and the aged can work and fill up their time with activity. I will look for as many old hawkers as possible and invite them to set up shop in Old Newspaper with a radical new business system, that will improve their bottom line and profitability.

I love sitting with friends, enjoying a cup of 'teh' and reminiscing about old Singapore. I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions for this mission of bringing back our great food.

No comments:

Post a Comment