Saturday, March 7, 2015

We built this city

Here's an article from Lam Chun See, another one of our active members and also author of the book, 'Good Morning Yesterday'. He submitted this for an essay competition to celebrate Spore’s 50th year of self-government.


Sometimes I feel a little bit like King Nebuchednezzar.

Nebuchednezzar was the king of Babylon who lived around 2,600 years ago. He was responsible for building the famous Hanging Gardens of Babylon. One day, as he surveyed the beauty of the city, he felt so proud that he declared in his heart; “Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty?”

Nowadays, I like to go for my brisk walking exercise in places like the MacRitchie Reservoir and along the Kallang River near Bishan Park. As I look at the clean and well-maintained Kallang River, I often marvelled to myself; “Isn’t this the same river that we used to label, 'The Dead Chicken River' (死鸡河or Say Kai Hor in Cantonese)?” 






For the first 22 years of my life, I lived in a small kampong near Lorong Chuan which straddled what is today the Central Expressway. The then smelly and filthy Kallang River used to flow through our kampong. In those days, half a century ago, whenever we passed this river, we had to hold our breath to avoid the stench of the rotting animal carcasses that the kampong folks had discarded into it. Sometimes, you can even see maggots crawling around the dead bodies of chickens, pigs and even dogs. Yet today, it is sparkling clean; like the rest of Singapore. Singaporeans of all races and ages, jog, walk, cycle and exercise along immaculate tracks beside this river, taking in the scenery and breathing in the fresh clean air.



Many visitors to our tiny island have expressed their admiration for we have done to transform this sleepy backward little island into a shining metropolis in one generation. For example, in 2004, the former governor of New York, Rudolf Giuliani, lauded Singapore for its ‘physical beauty’, saying; “It says to me something about self-respect … The physical condition of Singapore is magnificent.” 



Yes, I know Singapore is nothing compared to the natural wonders of many of the great countries in this world. Nevertheless, in many of our eyes, it is a mini Hanging Gardens of Babylon no less. And hence, as our country celebrates 50 years of independence, I feel proud that I was part of that generation which played a significant part in bringing about this transformation.

Note: Chun See's book, 'Good Morning Yesterday', is on sale at Books Kinokuniya @ Ngee Ann City, Popular @ Bras Basah and Popular @ Sembawang. Do get a copy. It's a wonderful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment